T5013: A Simple Guide to Canadian Partnership Tax Forms

  • Accracy
  • 26th Nov, 2023

If you operate a business partnership in Canada and your income reaches a certain threshold, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that you file tax form T5013.

T5013: A Simple Guide to Canadian Partnership Tax Forms
Tax Tips

What is T5013?

Canadian tax form T5013, also known as the Statement of Partnership Income, is a form that partnerships in Canada use to report basic financial information about their business to the CRA.

Partnerships don't pay income tax in Canada, and T5013 is not used to calculate your tax liability. It simply shows the CRA what portion of your partnership's net income or loss will be reported on each of its partners' individual tax returns.

Is T5013 the only form my partnership needs to file?

Form T5013 is part of your broader partnership information return, which is composed of four parts:

  1. T5013 FIN, the Partnership Financial Return
  2. Various T5013 schedules (depending on your partnership's financial state) including:
  3. T5013 SCH 1, Partnership's Net Income (Loss) for Income Tax Purposes
  4. T5013 SCH 50, Partner's Ownership and Account Activity
  5. T5013 SCH 100, Balance Sheet Information
  6. T5013 SCH 125, Income Statement Information

  7. Form T5013, Statement of Partnership Income
  8. Form T5013SUM, Summary of Partnership Income

If your partnership has to file a partnership information return, each of these forms is mandatory. (See "˜How do I fill out T5013?' below for more information about filling out each one.)

For a detailed, step-by-step guide to filling out a full partnership information return, consult this CRA guide.

Am I in a partnership?

The CRA defines a partnership as "an association or relationship between two or more individuals, corporations, trusts, or partnerships that join together to carry on a trade or business."

If you and at least one other person contribute money, property, labor or skills to a business and expect some kind of return, have registered for GST/HST, and have never incorporated, you're probably a partnership.

Just like sole proprietorships, partnerships aren't formal incorporated entities—they can sometimes be created by a simple verbal agreement between two people. Most have some kind of written agreement, however, describing who is part of the partnership and how income and equity will be divided between partners.

For more information about how the Canada Revenue Agency defines partnerships, see this guide.

Does my partnership need to file a partnership information return?

According to the CRA, two kinds of partnerships must file a partnership information return, including Form T5013:

  • Partnerships that do business in Canada
  • Canadian partnerships with Canadian or foreign operations or investments

A partnership only has to submit a T5013 if one of the following is true:

  • If, at the end of the fiscal period, it has revenues and expenses totalling more than $2 million (for example, if it has $1 million in revenues and $1.5 million in expenses, for a total threshold figure of $2.5 million)
  • If it has more than $5 million in assets (according to the CRA, this includes "all assets worldwide, both tangible and intangible")
  • If the partnership is tiered (that is, if it has another partnership as a partner, or is itself a partner in another partnership)
  • If the partnership has a corporation or trust as a partner

How do I complete a partnership information return?

Step 1: fill out T5013-FIN

Form T5013-FIN, the Partnership Financial Return, is the first step to filing your partnership information return.

T5013-FIN is a four-page form, the first page of which looks like this:

CRA Form T5013-FIN

T5013-FIN is divided into three main parts:

Partnership Information

Located on page one, this part of the form will ask you for basic information about your partnership, including its trade name, address, partnership type, and partnership account number. (See "˜What's a partnership account number, and how do I get one?' below for more.)

Documents required to be attached to T5013-FIN

Located on page two of T5013 FIN, partnerships use this section to determine which of the additional T5013 schedules then need attach to T5013-FIN when filing your partnership information return (see below for more information).

Additional and miscellaneous information

Located on pages 3-4 of T5013-FIN, this section will ask you additional questions about your partnership's operations, finances and taxes.

Step 2: fill out the T5013 schedules that are relevant to your partnership

Once you've filled out T5013-FIN, it's time to start filling out your additional T5013 schedules, which provide the CRA with detailed information about your partnership's finances and operations.

The following T5013 schedules are mandatory for all partnerships required to file a partnership information return:

These schedules can get pretty detailed and complex—have your partnership's books and financial statements on hand when completing them, or better yet, get an accountant or tax specialist to fill them out for you.

Depending on your answers to part two of T5013-FIN, you might also have to fill out one of the following schedules:

  • T5013 SCH 2, Charitable Donations, Gifts, and Political Contributions
  • T5013 SCH 5, Allocation of Salaries and Wages, and Gross Revenue for Multiple Jurisdictions
  • T5013 SCH 6, Summary of Dispositions of Capital Property
  • T5013 SCH 8, Capital Cost Allowance (CCA)
  • T5013 SCH 9, List of Partnerships
  • T5013 SCH 12, Resource-Related Deductions
  • T5013 SCH 52, Summary Information for Partnerships that Allocated Renounced Resource Expenses to their Members

Step 3: fill out a T5013 for each partner

T5013 is a two-page document from the CRA, which looks like this:

CRA Form T5013

If your partnership is required to submit a partnership information return, each individual partner must fill out a separate T5013.

There are two parts to form T5013: fixed boxes and generic boxes.

Fixed boxes

Use fixed boxes 001-006 and 010-040 to indicate important information about your partnership, including your total percentage share of the partnership (box 005), your share of the total income or loss for the period (010), the partnership's total income or loss (020), and your partnership's total capital gains or losses (030).

Generic boxes

Use these boxes to provide the CRA with additional information relating to your share of the partnership's revenues, expenses and net income.

For example, let's say we're filling out generic box number 110—the box for "Canadian and foreign net rental income (loss) (Multi-jurisdictional)," according to the CRA's identification guide.

Let's say your partnership is evenly split (50-50) between two partners, and earned $100,00 in Canadian net rental income, and $100,000 in foreign net rental income—$50,000 from the United States, and $50,000 from Mexico.

You would then use box code 110—the CRA box for "Canadian and foreign net rental income (loss) (Multi-jurisdictional)"—to record the following on each partner's individual T5013:

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 10.17.54 AM

For a full list of generic box codes, click here.

Step 4: fill out a T5013SUM for the entire partnership

Form T5013SUM is a two-page form that looks like this:

CRA Form T5013SUM

It reports the totals of amounts allocated to the partners on the T5013 slips.

For example, when filling out information for box 110 on T5013SUM, the partnership from the example above would add up their total Canadian ($100,000) and foreign ($100,000) net rental income and record the following:

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 10.18.26 AM

What's a partnership account number, and how do I get one?

A partnership account number—also known as an RZ account number—is a 15-character code assigned to all partnerships filing with the CRA. Your partnership needs one in order to submit a partnership information return.

If you don't have one, you can register for one online here, request one using Form RC1, or by calling the CRA at 1-800-959-5525. (Be ready to answer all questions in Part A of Form RC1 if you do.)

How do I submit T5013?

Once you have an RZ number, you can file your partnership information return using My Business Account, or a representative can file it on your behalf using Represent a Client.

You can also submit your T5013 forms using the CRA's Web Forms application, or use the same tax prep software you use to file your personal tax return.

Although the CRA discourages filing your partnership information return on paper, you can also mail them your T5013 forms by sending them to the following address:

Prince Edward Island Tax Centre
275 Pope Road
Summerside PE C1N 6A2

When do I need to file it by?

If all of the partners in your partnership are individuals—that is, as long as no corporations are part of your partnership or another partnership does not own interest in your partnership—the filing deadline for T5013 is on March 31st after the calendar year in which the fiscal period of the partnership ended.

If all of the partners in your partnership are corporations, the deadline is five months after the end of the partnership's fiscal period.

In all other cases, the deadline for submitting T5013 is March 31st or five months after the end of the partnership's fiscal period, whichever date is earlier.

The penalty for failing to file a partnership information return is $100 or $25 per day to a maximum of 100 days, whichever figure is greater, and repeat offenders could be subject to higher penalties.

What other tax forms do partners need to file?

If you're an individual partner, you must report all of the information you include on T5013 on your T1 General Income Tax and Benefit Return.

If you're a corporation, you must report all of the information you include on T5013 on your T2 Corporation Income Tax Return, and if you're a trust, report it on your T3, Trust Income Tax and Information Return.

Free 1 Month Bokkeeping Trial

New Customer Offer

We are offering free 1 Month Basic Bookkeeping to all new customers so you can experience Accracy's seemless and professional services.

* No Debit/Credit Card Required

Blog Posts

Understanding IRS Letter 1058 or LT11—Final Notice of Intent to Levy
Understanding IRS Letter 1058 or LT11—Final Notice of Intent to Levy

Learn about the potential consequences and implications of receiving an IRS Letter 1058 or LT11, also known as a "Final Notice Of Intent To Levy."

Find the Right Mentor and Grow Your Small Business
Find the Right Mentor and Grow Your Small Business

Finding a mentor on your own can be tricky. If you're not sure how to find a mentor, we have some helpful ideas.

What Are Assets, Liabilities, and Equity?
What Are Assets, Liabilities, and Equity?

A simple guide to assets, liabilities, equity, and how they relate to the balance sheet.

Ready to grow your business?